108 of the Most Popular Content Marketing Terms and Definitions
Have you ever found yourself… in a meeting and someone uses a bunch of content marketing terms you don’t know but should?
At that moment, you likely decided to either:
- Fake it ‘til you make it, hoping no one asks you a related question
- Ask for clarification, outing yourself as not knowing
- Walk out of the room (disguising a “bloody nose”)
Hey, you’re here now, ready to level up, and we dig that!
This glossary on online marketing demystifies the terms you should know and gives you access to the content strategy terms the industry insiders use so you sound wicked smaht.
What is on-page SEO?
On-page search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of using relevant keywords in your website’s visible text so it ranks higher in the search engine results pages (SERPs) and improves your website’s visibility.
Why is on-page SEO important?
On-page SEO is important because it increases your website’s visibility and ranking, allowing more visitors (and potential clients!) to find your website.
When should I use on-page SEO?
You should use on-page SEO throughout your website.
To boost your SEO, organize your content using silos. A silo structure guides visitors and search engines throughout your website, improving user experience.
What are examples of on-page SEO?
Examples of on-page SEO include:
- Sharing high-quality, keyword-rich content
- Incorporating keywords in your content’s metadata (page title, description, and headings)
- Streamlining your website’s navigation
What is online visibility?
Online visibility refers to how easily people can discover your website when they’re searching for information. This relates to a page’s position in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
Why is online visibility important?
Visibility is important because visitors need to find your website so they can hire your firm. Otherwise, you’ll waste time and money on content marketing that doesn’t bring in clients.
When should I look at online visibility?
You should look at visibility to see where your website shows in the SERPs. Compare your ranking against your competitors to identify ways to improve your content marketing.
How can I improve online visibility?
To improve findability, use the following techniques:
- Create more SEO-friendly content.
- Use hashtags.
- Post regularly on social media.
- Respond to comments and reviews.
- Offer free tools and resources.
What is organic search?
Organic search is the process of looking up information on the web using a search engine. Results from organic searches are based on relevancy, rather than paid advertising.
Why is organic search important?
Organic search is important because it allows new clients to find your firm. You can create content to rank higher in the search engine results pages (SERPs) instead of paying for advertising.
The content you create for organic search continues to promote your firm long after you publish it. This contrasts paid searches, which only show as long as you’re paying for them.
Creating content for organic search makes the most of your budget so you keep bringing in new cases, without having to stress over your marketing budget.
When should I think about organic search?
You should have organic search in mind any time you’re creating content online. Every piece of content is an opportunity for you to boost your search engine optimization (SEO) and reach more clients.
What are ways to improve my organic search?
Ways to improve your organic search include:
- Using data-backed keywords
- Optimizing your website
- Creating quality, original content
- Avoiding SEO plagiarism
- Adding internal and external links to blog posts
- Updating your social media regularly
What is original content?
Original content is unique information that’s never been published before.
Why is original content important?
Original content is important because it:
- Keeps you from committing SEO plagiarism.
- Positions you as a thought leader in your field.
- Offers fresh, new information for users.
- Draws attention to your firm, bringing in leads.
- Creates a community around your firm.
When should I use original content?
You should use original content in every piece of content you create.
How can I create original content?
To create original content, follow these tips:
- Gather topic ideas from clients.
- Write from your experiences.
- Generate case studies.
- Host a webinar or virtual hangout.
What are outbound links?
Outbound links are external links pointing visitors to a web page outside your website.
Why do outbound links matter?
Outbound links matter because they:
- Help visitors find more information.
- Make navigating the internet easier.
- Improve your credibility.
- Keep your content concise.
They make your content more valuable to visitors and improve their user experience on your website. This keeps people coming back to your content and seeking your insight. (And your services.)
When should I use outbound links?
You should use outbound links to provide context about a topic without explaining it in your post.
What is outbound marketing?
Outbound marketing involves actively reaching out to potential customers, rather than waiting for them to come to you. It contrasts with inbound marketing.
Why use outbound marketing?
Outbound marketing can be an effective way to reach a large number of people in a short amount of time.
When should I use outbound marketing?
You should use outbound marketing when you want immediate results and have a large marketing budget.
However, there’s no guarantee that your message will reach your intended audience. Outbound marketing is best used in tandem with inbound marketing strategies.
What are examples of outbound marketing?
Examples of outbound marketing include:
- Advertising through TV, radio, and billboards
- Paid ads on the search engine results pages (SERPs)
- Cold-emailing and spamming
- Direct mail campaigns
- Tradeshow presentations